Thursday, February 13, 2014

Do you want to start a home business?


I was thinking today about how far I've come on this journey of being an entrepreneur and how far I still need to go.  Its been a big learning curve for me.  Here are several points that I've learned along the way.

1. Have a strong support system
For me this is my husband's constant encouragement.  I would have never started down this journey without his pushing.  He pushes me in the best way possible...it brings the best out of me in a way that I wouldn't do on my own.  He knows what I'm capable of before I do.  My immediate family is also a huge support.  They are my extra hands, my childcare and overall amazing.  Finally don't financially depend on your new business for a few years.  I've rolled my earnings back into the company the past few years to help it grow.

My friend/cousin-in-law Angie helping at bridal shows
My beautiful family last year summer


2. Don't have fear
Before I started on wedding flowers I experimented with many different business ideas.  My original company was Crystal's Cakes and Flowers.  I taught myself cake decorating and worked on several weddings before I realized it wasn't my nitch.  Wedding cakes are HARD and I didn't have any professional training.  My creative instincts did help, but I can say I'm honestly much better at flowers.  Also...doing cakes out of your home with little kids is impossible!  They want to touch, eat, help ect....  After I resigned that I wouldn't be the best wedding cake lady I tried my hand at making soap.  I thought it would be a great idea to open a shop that sold organic handmade soaps and flowers.  Again, I lacked complete knowledge before I started this adventure.  Which brings me to point three.

(my last cake, a wedding gift to my good friends Gayla and Chris)


3. Do what you already know!
Don't try to start a business just because you have a good idea.  The best advice can give is go work for someone else doing what you want to do.  I worked at a flower shop almost on accident.  I left my high stress, high hours, big box retail management job and was interviewing for other jobs.  While I was job searching my mom told me the flower shop in town was hiring.  This was the best learning experience I've had.  I took a job with low pay for the opportunity to learn a new skill.  When I started there I had no intention of starting my own company, but without this experience I would not be successful.

My first wedding on my own.  T his is when I realize this is what I needed to be doing full time.

4. Network
More than any advertising can buy having a good network of other business that support each other is priceless.  For me this has been joining the Genesee County Bridal Alliance.  For each business this is different.  It may be reaching out to your local church community, BNI, or Chamber of Commerce.



I'm by no means an expert yet, but I'm so grateful to have a job that I love.  My plan is to continue to gradually grow the business over the next few years.  I will have something of my own when the kid are in school and someday I hope to have something of value to pass on the them.  Do you have a business that you started?  What have you learned along the way?



No comments:

Post a Comment